[LINK] spy technology

Geoffrey Ramadan gramadan at umd.com.au
Sat May 19 11:14:42 AEST 2007

Adrian Chadd wrote:
> On Sat, May 19, 2007, Geoffrey Ramadan wrote:
>
> [snip]
>

>>> Data Rate: 40Kbps
>>> Memory (optional): 512Kb
>>> Reading Range: 12 meters max. (39')
>>> Antenna: 1 port for XCRF-500, 2 port for XCRF-502
>>> RF output power: 2W
>>> Comm. Ports: RS 232 & 10/100M Ethernet
>>> Upgradeability: Firmware Upgradeable
>>> Power Supply: 100-240V AC
>>> FCC Approval: Yes
>>>

>> It would be illegal to use this product in Australia. The frequency band
>> is not Australian compliant: (Frequency Range: 902-928MHz ) which is 918
>> to 926Mhz
>>

> When did criminals stop purchasing technology because its illegal?

If criminals were stupid enough to use this, then they would be caught
rather quickly. Radiating at this frequency band WILL interfere with the
Vodafone Mobile towers.... and since they have payed a lot of money for
this spectrum, the ACMA will be tracking them down very vigorously.

They may as well just purchase a legal unit locally.

However, in our case, we would not sell a UHF RFID reader by itself. We
only offer UHF RFID technology as part of our solution... to ensure that
it is installed and used correctly.

> (The undergraduate psychologist student in me wonders what impact not
> having to remember where anything is "because RFID will help you locate
> your belongings rather quickly!" has any impact on, say, formation of
> useful memory. Hmm.)

This just highlights the common misconception about RFID... that you can
just "wave your magic RFID wand" and read everything, everywhere in a
room.... it is not going to happen.

Geoffrey Ramadan