[LINK] spy technology

Eric Scheid eric.scheid at ironclad.net.au
Mon May 21 14:17:53 AEST 2007

On 21/5/07 1:31 PM, "Geoffrey Ramadan" <gramadan at umd.com.au> wrote:

> By the way, most of you probably don't realise that you are already
> carrying a RFID tag... in most modern cars with Imobilizers... the key
> has an embedded Low Frequency (short range) RFID tag which is red by the
> ignition system. (in interesting outcome of this is that you could use
> you Car Key as access to say you home or office).

Is this really an RFID, which to my understanding presents a static ID?

I thought the key-thing provided an ID from a rolling sequence, and this is
done to prevent eavesdroppers driving off with your car. Maybe a stepped
sequence, or maybe a timed sequence (like those magic number encryption
dongles people log in with).

e.