[LINK] What happens when an OS becomes successful?

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Wed May 23 12:37:50 AEST 2007

At 11:19 AM 23/05/2007, Antony Barry wrote:
>>And before these were the text-based system with hyperlinks called
>>Gopher and WAIS, which I recall predated HTML by several years.
>
>Which I reviewed in my paper to Networkshop in 1993 <http://tony-
>barry.emu.id.au/pubs/1993/Networkshop.html>
>
>And lets not forget archie for ftp archives which preceded them all
>invented by Peter Deutsch at McGill.

Thanks for the memories. I remember how excited I was with WAIS and
gopher. Archie was a bit flat if the files weren't grouped. But WAIS
and Gopher usually had a meaningful structure that was excellent. I
spent time with our biggest boss showing him how to use them in the early 90s.

Jan

Jan Whitaker
JLWhitaker Associates, Melbourne Victoria
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com
personal: http://www.janwhitaker.com/personal/
commentary: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/

Writing Lesson #54:
Learn to love revision. Think of it as polishing the silver for
guests. - JW, May, 2007

'Seed planting is often the most important step. Without the seed,
there is no plant.' - JW, April 2005