[LINK] Re: Link Digest, Vol 174, Issue 41

Antony Barry tony at tony-barry.emu.id.au
Fri May 25 17:54:04 AEST 2007

On 25/05/2007, at 1:14 PM, Stewart Fist wrote:

> When I was a boy, we were so poor we didn't have WAIS, Archie and
> Gopher ...
> only Dialog and Orbit.

C'mon Stewart, you can do better than that. When you and I were boys
we had steam radio and encyclopedia Brittanica salesmen (never
women). Records went at 78rpm and shattered if you dropped them. The
radio was a major piece of furniture playing the "Lawsons" and "Much
Binding in the Marsh". After the ABC news delivered by very toffy
British accents there followed "..crackle..pop.. This is London
Calling..".

Were you an Argonaut by any chance? I wasn't much to my uncle Keith
Barry's <http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A130147b.htm>
disappointment.

Tony

phone : 02 6241 7659 | mailto:me at Tony-Barry.emu.id.au
mobile: 04 1242 0397 | mailto:tony.barry at alianet.alia.org.au
http://tony-barry.emu.id.au