[LINK] US switch to dig TV - potential for Internet?

Jan Whitaker jwhit at janwhitaker.com
Sat May 26 09:26:54 AEST 2007

Anything parallel here on this front?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/timothy-karr/the-internet-revolution-i_b_49367.html
  The Internet Revolution is in the Air

Few of you are likely aware that the future of communications in our
country rests on a seemingly arcane decision on how we sell off
soon-to-be vacated TV airwaves. This public "spectrum" has the
capacity to deliver high-speed Internet signals almost everywhere in
the country.

The Federal Communications Commission will decide very soon how this
chunk of air is to be auctioned off and used after TV stations go digital.
The government hopes that revenues from the sale (anticipated to be
as high as $30 billion) will help pay down the national deficit,
especially high since we went to War in Iraq.

Yesterday, many members of the SavetheInternet.com Coalition came
forward with a proposal: Let's use these airwaves to make the
Internet more neutral, open and affordable for everyone.

Most people haven't heard about this issue, or know that such
valuable airwaves are up for grabs. But it is important stuff.
[snip]

Jan Whitaker
JLWhitaker Associates, Melbourne Victoria
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com
personal: http://www.janwhitaker.com/personal/
commentary: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/

Writing Lesson #54:
Learn to love revision. Think of it as polishing the silver for
guests. - JW, May, 2007

'Seed planting is often the most important step. Without the seed,
there is no plant.' - JW, April 2005