[LINK] Fwd: MR 53/07: ACMA removes prohibition on Sunday research calls [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Glen Turner gdt at gdt.id.au
Thu May 31 13:16:22 AEST 2007

On Wed, 2007-05-30 at 15:41 +1000, Howard Lowndes wrote:

> It sounds like some pressure has been applied.  I thank $DEITY that I
> have CLID presentation and Asterisk  :)

Australia has a number of long-running research studies where
people are contacted annually. These studies are important -- they
are often used to determine the social influences on illness.

The researchers try very hard to keep people in the pool and to
get a response from them every year. Even a 95% response rate
limits the length of the study to 5 years before the statistics
get wobbly.

I don't understand why you think these studies should be made
even harder to conduct.  I'm much more inclined to praise ACMA
for doing the right thing quickly once the problem became
apparent.

Regards, Glen