[LINK] oecd broadband portal: stats

Richard Chirgwin rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au
Sat Nov 10 13:27:27 AEDT 2007

Howard,

Howard Lowndes wrote:
> Some points:
>
> 1. Why do they have to be in .XLS format?  TG OpenOffice has no problem.
> 2. AU is amongst the most expensive.
> 3. Connectivity figures indicate 18% on DSL and only 0.9% on Other
> (assumedly dial up, as it's not otherwise mentioned)
"Other" means "other broadband". Dialup is not in this table - it's
broadband only.

"Most expensive" is really difficult to measure with any reliability. On
the "per megabit per second per month" measure our lowest price is
fifth-cheapest (see "Range of prices per Mbps"). On raw subscription
price we're apparently expensive.

But: both of these measures refer to the subscriptions sampled by the
OECD - I don't know exactly what list of providers the OECD uses. What
this doesn't do - in fact, what would be almost impossible to do as far
as I can imagine! - is to say "how many users are subscribed to each of
the different plan types we survey". So if there's (say) an $80 per
month plan, we don't know if it has 20,000 subscribers or 200,000
subscribers - and therefore we don't know exactly the average "price
paid" in the broadband market.

(This is not, by the way, a criticism of the OECD per se, just pointing
out the difficulty of comparing cost of BB).

Moreover, an exchange rate comparison doesn't measure the price of
broadband against the consumer's spending power (for example, as a
proportion of disposable income).

RC