[LINK] Carbon Neutral Linux Computers, Canberra, 21 November 2007

grove at zeta.org.au grove at zeta.org.au
Tue Nov 20 23:21:37 AEDT 2007

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007, Rick Welykochy wrote:

> Tom Worthington wrote:
>
>> Topic: Carbon Neutral Linux Computers

I think the whole idea of a carbon neutral computer is a furphy.
While the end product can be designed to use little power
and not have a large footprint on the environment, in truth,
computers are an environmental hazard.   The processing of the
various components, sourcing of base and rare metals for the
technology, oil based plastics for the cases,
forging of silicon substrates, the toxins used in the
circuit boards all have a carbon footprint on the whole many times bigger
than the carbon footprint over the life time of the device itself.

And the software industry, Linux notwithstanding, is fuelled on
greed, planned obsolescence and cycles of usability that are measured
in much shorter periods than the ability for that equipment to
recover its environmental cost of production in the same time frame.

I estimate it would take a laptop about 15 years of useful productivity
to return on its basic construction and fabrication costs, which
we all know doesn't happen in reality - how many of you still use
your PowerBook 150 for any real purpose, for example.   It's now
toxic landfill or at best a plaything.

With servers, the cycle is thankfully a bit longer - we have
servers that are well over 10 years old at work, still doing something
useful, even if it is better that it doesn't.   But servers have the
same problem in the end and they are even better at being useless
boat anchors at the end of the day.

The number of obsolete units occupying space in various storerooms
or garages around the country locks up those resources that are
irreplaceable, something that doesn't get factored in.   And then
recycling them for the scrap metal such as happens in certain places
in 3rd world countries and China, contributes even more waste
back into the environment, mostly in an unfettered manner.

I will believe in carbon neutral computers when someone makes
one that reflects the true environmental cost of production,
has a lifespan of 15 years or more using renewable components
whereever possible and has, over its cycle of usefulness
contributed back something to the enviromment that goes a bit beyond
being a musuem piece in a hackers closet or toxic landfill.

Perhaps one way to start this is to slap a big yellow sticker
on anything electronic that has a star rating that includes
and factors in the cost of production on the environment and its
obsolescence factor.   More wasteful and useless products
have less stars and garner a bigger carbon tax on both the end user
and the manufacturer..... ?!

rachel

--
Rachel Polanskis                 Kingswood, Greater Western Sydney, Australia
grove at zeta.org.au                http://www.zeta.org.au/~grove/grove.html