[LINK] Television archival [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Carl Makin carl at xena.IPAustralia.gov.au
Wed Nov 21 15:51:28 AEDT 2007

Howard Lowndes wrote:
> George Bray wrote:
>> Yeah, MythTV is great for a single user, but we have ~20k!  At some
>> point in the past there was talk of making Myth multi-user, not sure
>> if it ever came about.
>
> It is multi-user, but the extent that each user can view live TV
> channels is limited by the number of tuner cards that are available for
> the backend, which can be on multiple subordinate backends.

Actually the only thing in MythTV that doesn't scale well is the livetv
component.  But, you can have as many people as you like watching a
recorded stream, even as the stream is being recorded.

MythTV is modular.  You can split the backends allocating some machines
to handling tuner cards, others to doing transcoding and others to
serving out the transcoded video via the web or rtsp.

Scaling it up, you could run a few linux boxes with tuner cards
monitoring and recording as required, feed all that data via NFS mounts
to a Sun X4500 (12 TByte in 4RU with 2 x dual core Opterons = $29,000
AUD list price).  Let the students schedule and retrieve via a modified
MythWeb interface (most of the code is already there).

One of your biggest problems is a reliable Electronic Program Guide (EPG).

Carl.