[LINK] Mobile web compatibility test suite released

Tom Worthington Tom.Worthington at tomw.net.au
Wed Nov 14 11:17:35 AEDT 2007

The W3C have released their mobileOK Basic 1.0 Tests as a "Candidate
Recommendation" (that is as a draft standard) :
<http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/CR-mobileOK-basic10-tests-20071113/>.
These are tests intended to see how compatible web pages are with
mobile phones and other hand held gadgets. The aim is "Making Web
access from a mobile device as simple, easy and convenient as Web
access from a desktop device".  As well as the test specification
document,  W3C have provided some very useful software implementing
some of the tests <http://validator.w3.org/mobile/alpha>. A press
release has background on the project:
<http://www.w3.org/2007/11/mok-pressrelease>.

I have tried out the tests and found them very useful, even where the
web pages were not specifically targeting mobile devices. My only
quibble is that perhaps the W3C's Mobile Web Best Practices Working
Group should run the tests on their own web pages
<http://www.tomw.net.au/blog/2007/10/w3c-mobile-web-best-practices-checker.html>.
;-)

Tom Worthington FACS HLM tom.worthington at tomw.net.au Ph: 0419 496150
Director, Tomw Communications Pty Ltd            ABN: 17 088 714 309
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617                      http://www.tomw.net.au/
Adjunct Senior Lecturer, ANU