[LINK] Coonan vs Conroy

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Wed Oct 3 19:38:29 AEST 2007

At 18:10 +1000 3/10/07, Stilgherrian wrote:
>Thanks all for the suggestions and comments for this Friday's breakfast

Sorry I didn't find time to toss any ideas in.

And this is mostly negative, so double-sorry.

>    1. ICT as a critical "enabling" element in our response to climate
>change, which will require lots of distributed access to lots of information
>and the tools to evaluate it.

Unfortunately, they can dive into prepared screeds on 'climate
change', so there won't be any information content in the discussion.

>    2. Protecting children online.

A total waste of space of a question.  Not just because we've all
been over it ad nausaeum, but mainly because *they* have, so the
answers will be 100% prepared imagery, no thought required.

>    4. What happened to the Information Economy? Why are all the information
>jobs going off shore to India?

Better!!!

>    6. Why does the government continue to behave like they own Telstra?
>   11. An enforced split of Telstra's retail and infrastructure divisions

How about:

How are you going to force Telstra to pass the national
infrastructure into a separate company without paying mega-billions
in compensation to them?

>I think I'd pull back to a Big Picture question about teh Internet. In 1995,
>Australia was 3rd on the planet in terms of Internet bandwidth and computer
>power per population, now we're not even in the Top 10. What are your
>thoughts on that? Is it important? If so, how should it be addressed? If
>not, why not?

You could seed it with 'not just games and porn', and see if either
of them can even remember who said it.  If a week's a long time in
politics, London is out of sight and out of mind:
http://www.uk.embassy.gov.au/lhlh/HCbiog.html

--
Roger Clarke                  http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916

Visiting Professor in Info Science & Eng  Australian National University
Visiting Professor in the eCommerce Program      University of Hong Kong