[LINK] Dot Asia a good idea?

Kim Holburn kim.holburn at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 19:08:24 AEST 2007

I don't know, it used to be simple and somewhat consistent.  Country
code TLDs were 2 letter.  What's wrong with that?  Universal or US
domains were three letter.  Fine but then they started adding stupid
domain names like info and coop.  Wasn't there a museum domain?  Was
it abbreviated or not?  I can never remember.

eu - is that a political entity or a geographic entity?

If asia is going to get a TLD what exactly is asia?  Does it include
Pakistan?  Afghanistan?  Any other stans?  New Guinea?  Australia?
Russia?

What about Africa, is Africa going to get a TLD?  The Middle East?
South America?  Oceania?  The pacific rim, .apec anyone?  French
speaking Africa?  What about continental Europe?  .NATO? .asean?

As for asian language character sets why would they want a european
language TLD for that except they have no common language?  Chinese
companies for instance probably want .公司 for a TLD.

I'm waiting for .coca-cola and .ibm as TLDs !!!  Who are our new
overlords?