[LINK] Dot Asia a good idea?

Ivan Trundle ivan at itrundle.com
Tue Oct 9 21:36:57 AEST 2007

On 09/10/2007, at 9:23 PM, Kim Davies wrote:

> Quoting Ivan Trundle on Tuesday October 09, 2007:
> |
> | I thought that the UN had ISO 3166-1 all stitched up, with only
> | disagreement from the French.
>
> ISO 3166-1 only provides codes in Latin characters. It does not
> present
> characters from other scripts. The problem space is finding domains
> for
> non-Latin script users, as the imposition of Latin on them retards
> their
> use of the Internet. I imagine it would be like if we had to write .au
> in Chinese every time we visited a website.

Wouldn't be a problem if we had Chinese keyboards, though.

The use of Latin scripts is merely a convention, and one that is
relatively easy to learn. I'm not trying to be one-eyed here, but
rather seeking a simplified solution to a universal problem: and the
retardation of some is inevitable - we don't have a universal system
of communication just yet.

I see it as another form of currency, and world domination is not
dependent upon the prevalence of the American dollar, but rather a
use of a 'token' (or set of tokens) which has the greatest utility.

Perhaps we shall one day use a Chinese keyboard...

On another note, the intertubes informed me today of a proposed
currency for the Solar System (or was it the Milky Way?): not a bad
idea, really, and the bling factor of having a currency that is not
yet recognised by any world banking system is surely the dreams of a
madman. yet I recall reading that it was developed to address the
problems of dealing with the cultural connotations of all existing
country-based currencies. Or maybe he simply distrusts the Euro?

iT