[LINK] Dot Asia a good idea?

David Lochrin dlochrin at d2.net.au
Tue Oct 9 23:13:02 AEST 2007

On Tuesday 09 October 2007 22:33, Kim Davies wrote:
> Quoting Roger Clarke on Tuesday October 09, 2007:
> | Challenge #1:  how many of you can declare that you saw all of the
> | above rendered in the appropriate glyphs??

   Ahh yes, my SuSE Linux system renders them all beautifully (:-).

   But I'm interested in the logical structure of the original problem....

   I wasn't aware that the concept of a mnemonic was not pretty much universal.  But surely a fully qualified domain name is just a sequence of symbols.  The fact that the right-most symbol refers to a country, except in the case of the U.S., is surely a secondary issue from a logical point of view?

   Having a TLD which is associated with a geographical location does not mean that it has to be a two-letter Latin character representing a country.  Except for the U.S. of course, and perhaps the DNS should evolve towards having all U.S. names in a .us (or .测试) TLD?

   It's late, why am I still here?

David