[LINK] Dot Asia a good idea?

Marghanita da Cruz marghanita at ramin.com.au
Wed Oct 10 13:38:39 AEST 2007

Kim Davies wrote:
> Quoting Kim Holburn on Tuesday October 09, 2007:
> | Actually, I get correct rendering in Safari (which I rarely use) but
> | not in Firefox:
> |
> | <http://preview.tinyurl.com/29n82l>
> | <http://preview.tinyurl.com/ywad8y>
>
> At the risk of getting in minutiae that may not interest our
> predominantly English speaking audience, the Safari rendering you are
> seeing has noticeable issues. Essentially in both Arabic and Hindi it
> is not composing the characters correctly (or at all). In this respect,
> Firefox is getting it right in Arabic.

I'm using Iceweazel and a few days ago, I noticed an Email which displayed their
name in two scripts - Roman and Devangri (used for Hindi and other Indian
languages though not Tamil, which is another script again possibly the same as
Thai which I think is closer to Sanscrit)

Iceweazel is offerin me  a number of different encodings under the view option -
including Simplified Chinese (used in mainland china and designed by Mao to
bring literacy to the masses) then there are a number of Chinese languages
(including Mandarin and Cantonese) which are written in the traditional chinese
characters which are numerous.

Open Office offers a variety of Scripts/Languages.

And about 12 years back I did a demo of a system with a Simplified Chinese
interface and played with a Chinese version of MSOffice.

Marghanita