[LINK] [UK] MP warns against Microsoft monopoly in e-gov services'

Craig Sanders cas at taz.net.au
Fri Oct 12 06:45:06 AEST 2007

On Fri, Oct 12, 2007 at 03:31:52AM +1000, Bernard Robertson-Dunn wrote:
> In response, Treasury minister Angela Eagle said the government had
> made increasing use of open source software, which is now playing a
> key role in the delivery of some high profile IT projects.
>
> She said the key online portal, Directgov, accessed by 6.5 million
> users a month, successfully uses open source products. Also a
> significant part of the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency's
> electronic vehicle licensing system is delivered through open source
> components.

is that cluelessness or a deliberate distraction?

it's not about what they use as the server, at least not directly. it's
about how they write their web applications, and whether they output
web pages that are compliant with open standards or use proprietary
extensions that only work on MS Windows.

the only time when the server software is relevant to this issue is when
it can not be made to output open standard web pages, when it enforces
the use of proprietary extensions and plugins.

> "Some open source projects cannot meet our needs for quality or
> security, and we are not prepared to compromise on those," she added.

that's deliberate FUD.

craig

--
craig sanders <cas at taz.net.au>

If I made peace with Russia today, I'd only attack her again tomorrow.  I
just couldn't help myself.
		-- Adolf Hitler