[LINK] RFI: Dynamic IP-Addresses on Consumer Broadband

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Fri Oct 19 18:51:15 AEST 2007

At 10:38 AM +0200 19/10/07, Kim Holburn wrote:
>I would think that there are 2 factors here.  One is that it does
>annoy people running sites with unsupervised content to change their
>IP numbers around although I would have thought that dynamic DNS
>would enable people to get around that.  ...

Yes, a couple of them said that too.

>The other is that China has a huge network which is growing very
>fast and not nearly as good access to IP space as the west
>especially the US with it's A-classes.  So it could in part be
>technical rearrangements of IP space.

Ah, a lovely segue away into CIDR and Geoff Huston's projected May
2010 expiry of IPv4 namespace.  I've already mentioned that to them
once, and I'm scheduled to re-visit it when I do 'Internet
Governance' on Mon night.

Excellent, thanks Kim!

--
Roger Clarke                  http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916

Visiting Professor in Info Science & Eng  Australian National University
Visiting Professor in the eCommerce Program      University of Hong Kong