[LINK] Coonan's statement -- correct or not?

Jan Whitaker jwhit at janwhitaker.com
Sat Oct 20 17:12:03 AEST 2007

http://www.theage.com.au/news/federalelection2007/australia-in-digital-dark-age/2007/10/20/1192301086691.html

Coonan:
She said Australia is ahead of the US, Canada, United Kingdom,
Germany, Ireland, Switzerland and many other developed countries.
Internet prices are competitive because the coalition government's
telecommunications policy has licensed 167 internet carriers, more
than the three licensed carriers under the previous Labor government, she said.

-=-=
The bit I don't believe is that they 'licence' internet carriers.
Huh? Does the government licence ANY internet carriers? How does one
set up an ISP? Aren't many of the 167 resellers?

I don't understand the business, but this statement from Coonan
didn't sound right.

Jan

Jan Whitaker
JLWhitaker Associates, Melbourne Victoria
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com
personal: http://www.janwhitaker.com/personal/
commentary: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/

Living, like writing, requires no wisdom. Only revising does. - Jim
Sollisch, Sept, 2007
'Seed planting is often the most important step. Without the seed,
there is no plant.' - JW, April 2005