[LINK] Coonan's statement -- correct or not?

Richard Chirgwin rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au
Mon Oct 22 07:35:01 AEST 2007

Peter Bowditch wrote:
>> OK. BigPond Cable is 8M and 12G for $60, which is more expensive. Then
>> again, in Au you have to get Foxtel first, at $38 a month.
>>

> I get 30M and 12G for $62.95 a month from Telstra, and I've never had
> Foxtel in my life. If I remember (and it's a long time since 1998), I had
> to pay the same one-off installation fee as I would have had to pay to get
> the TV, and i have no problem with that. Someone has to climb the pole and
> crawl under the house.

You got me bang  to rights ... kind of illustrates the issue, though: a
quick compilation of plans and prices, without proper study of what's
included and what's excluded, gives you a very poor basis for
comparative value.

Another thought: a simple exchange rate calculation is also of
questionable value. If someone was serious about comparative
affordability, they would compare the cost of broadband access (taking
into account inclusions etc) to household disposable income.

RC