[LINK] Australian energy efficiency standards for personal computers and monitors

Tom Worthington Tom.Worthington at tomw.net.au
Mon Oct 22 09:03:02 AEST 2007

At 09:23 AM 17/10/2007, Howard Lowndes wrote:
>One thing that I am working on is the concept of a computer lab for
>a school using Edubuntu on the server accessed by up to 30 diskless
>workstations.  It's difficult to find brand name thin clients at the
>right price.  I think much more use needs to be made of thin client
>networks, even for SME operations. ...

Yes. There are more single board computers coming out, so I expect we
will see more companies put them in boxes to make thin clients.

Also I toyed with the idea of a "Portable learning centre" made up of
a airline carry on bag with a couple of dozen ASUS Eee PCs in it
<http://www.tomw.net.au/blog/2007/08/portable-learning-centre.html>.

The Eee PC is a disk less Lunux subnotebook computer for about $US199
to $US400. It has sockets for USB and an external monitor. So if you
plugged in a keyboard, mouse and LCD screen it could also be used as
a desktop thin client. ASUS could make a model omitting the LCD
screen, keyboard and battery, and stick a label over the latch to
make it a desktop thin client. Such a unit should cost under $US199.

Even with the screen, keyboard and battery the Eee PC might be useful
as a desktop thin client.  A big screen and keyboard could be plugged
in for displaying documents, while the small screen and keyboard
could be used as a smart VoIP phone. Having the battery would be
useful for a phone as it would provide continued operation during a
power failure.

Tom Worthington FACS HLM tom.worthington at tomw.net.au Ph: 0419 496150
Director, Tomw Communications Pty Ltd            ABN: 17 088 714 309
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617                      http://www.tomw.net.au/
Adjunct Senior Lecturer, ANU