[LINK] RFI: ReadNotify.com

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Mon Oct 22 19:05:43 AEST 2007

[Does anyone have any experience of this service?
[On the surface of it, there seems to be a conflict between "add:
.readnotify.com to the end of your recipients email address (they
won't see this)" and "ReadNotify.com does not use or contain any
sp?yware, ma?lware, nor vi?rues, it is not ill?egal to use, and does
not breach any pri?vacy reg?ulations in any countries."]

ReadNotify.com - What is it and how does it work?
http://www.readnotify.com/readnotify/about.asp

What is ReadNotify?
ReadNotify is the most powerful and reliable email tracking service
that exists today. In short - ReadNotify tells you when email you
sent gets read / re-opened / forwarded and so much more

  How do I send a tracked email?
There are two ways you can send tracked emails:
1.	Simply add:   .readnotify.com   to the end of your recipients
email address (they won't see this)
or
2.	Install our ActiveTracker plugin to add the tracking for you.

Testing? If you send tracked emails to yourself, your anti-spam
filters may block them (people don't usually write to themselves) -
so we recommend you test by sending to other people.

  What will you tell me about the tracked emails I send?
ReadNotify will endeavour to provide the following in your tracking reports:

	*	Date and time opened
	*	Location of recipient (per their ISP city /town)
	*	Map of location (available on paid subscriptions)
	*	Recipients IP address
	*	Apparent email address of opening (if available)
	*	Referrer details (ie; if accessed via web mail etc)
	*	URL clicks
	*	How long the email was read for
	*	How many times your email was opened
	*	If your email was forwarded, or opened on a different computer

All messages sent via ReadNotify benefit from our SPF compliant and
Sender-ID compliant mail servers. This confirms safe transmission of
your messages, and also enables us to report delivery status to you
(including: bounce-backs, delays and success notifications). Delivery
information is listed in your Personal Tracking Page.
Try hovering your mouse over the sections in our Live Sample Receipt
for more information.

Note: ReadNotify.com does not use or contain any sp?yware, ma?lware,
nor vi?rues, it is not ill?egal to use, and does not breach any
pri?vacy reg?ulations in any countries.

What else does ReadNotify do?
There are lots of great features available to you - these include the
following sending options:

	*	Certified email
	*	Ensured-Receipts and retractable emails
	*	Invisible tracking
	*	Self-Destructing emails
	*	Block printing
	*	Adobe Acrobat PDF Document Tracking
	*	Track MS Word or Excel documents
For more details regarding sending options, please see our: FAQ's
You can also choose how to receive your receipts:

	*	In your Personal Tracking Page (when you log in)
	*	Email ReadNotifications
	*	Legal Proof-of-Opening receipts
	*	Delivery Service Notifications (DSN's)
	*	SMS alert on your cell-phone or pager
	*	Instant Messenger
These options are available to you from "My Account" in Member Utilities.
Getting started
ReadNotify offers a lot of features and sending options, but it is
very easy to use our service. On start up, your account is already
configured per our 'Recommended' tracking defaults - and we will
automatically send you email ReadNotifications when your tracked
emails are opened.
If you'd like to take us for a 'test drive', please sign up for
no-obligation free trial from the ReadNotify.com Homepage

--
Roger Clarke                  http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916

Visiting Professor in Info Science & Eng  Australian National University
Visiting Professor in the eCommerce Program      University of Hong Kong