[LINK] Limit Email Size to Reduce Carbon Emissions?

Tom Worthington Tom.Worthington at tomw.net.au
Tue Oct 16 09:18:22 AEST 2007

At 02:23 PM 15/10/2007, Glen Turner wrote:
>On Thu, 2007-10-11 at 15:23 +1000, Tom Worthington wrote:
>>... I estimate that 20 kbytes of data produces about one gram of
>>CO2 per year. ...
>
>Hi Tom, I kind of think the average misses the point. Much of the
>time that router, wireless access point or ethernet
>switch isn't doing anything near its rated speed, but uses power as
>if it is. ...

Yes, but if people start worrying about energy consumption by such
devices, the manufacturers will respond by redesigning them to
conserve power when not operating at full capacity. Notebook computer
makers had to do this to conserve battery power and that technology
is being introduced to desktop PCs as well. There is no reason the
same thing could not be done with routers, if the customers were to ask for it.

>... power consumption for DVB-T set top boxes.  Mine is stamped 15W
>on the back.  In actuality it uses 12W. That's a big
>number for a always-on appliance, since it runs even when the TV
>required to display the output is off. ...

My old Transact digital set-top box/broadband modem used about 25W
<http://www.tomw.net.au/links/20020501.html>. It was just the right
size and temperature to sit the fermentation barrel on in winter
<http://www.tomw.net.au/catering/lillypilly.shtml>.  ;-)

Tom Worthington FACS HLM tom.worthington at tomw.net.au Ph: 0419 496150
Director, Tomw Communications Pty Ltd            ABN: 17 088 714 309
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617                      http://www.tomw.net.au/
Adjunct Senior Lecturer, ANU