[LINK] Office of the Information Commissioner Online?

Tom Worthington Tom.Worthington at tomw.net.au
Mon Oct 29 10:43:43 AEDT 2007

Last week the Australian Labor Party announced its policy for the
reform of Freedom of Information (FOI) laws:

"MERGE privacy protection and freedom of information in a new Office
of the Information Commissioner to streamline and fast-track
information policy across government. ..."
   From: Rudd to break secrecy code, MICHAEL OWEN, News Limited,
October 27, 2007 02:15am
<http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,22655386-5006301,00.html>

Last week I was teaching a class of public servants (mostly from the
Australian Government, but one from another national government) on
how to use XML technology for electronic document management
<http://tomw.net.au/moodle/course/view.php?id=8>.

In an exercise on Thursday I asked the class how to automate the
release of government electronic records
<http://tomw.net.au/moodle/mod/assignment/view.php?id=108>.

The problem is that the volume of electronic records will overwhelm
the current manual FOI process. Some academics have suggested going
to the other extreme, by making all electronic government records
available automatically
<http://arts.anu.edu.au/democraticaudit/misc/aspgbehonestminister.pdf>.
That proposal has its own problems, which the class pointed out in
their answers to the exercise.

One of the class suggested setting up a new government agency to
handle the release of records. Coincidentally, the ALP released its
policy proposing just such an agency: The Office of the Information
Commissioner (OIC). So for the examination on Saturday, I asked the
class how to implement the IT system for the OIC, using XML and web
technology <http://tomw.net.au/moodle/mod/assignment/view.php?id=135>.

The obvious way to do this is to use the same tools and techniques as
now used for transferring electronic records from agencies to the
National Archives, but speed it up. The National Archives free open
source "XML Electronic Normalising of Archives" (XENA) and "Digital
Preservation Recorder" (DPR) software tools are now used to process
electronic records extracted from agency systems, such those based on
Tower Software's Trim <http://tomw.net.au/moodle/mod/resource/view.php?id=128>.

The OIC staff could use an online federated system to search the
records of all agencies. OIC staff would then place an automated
request for relevant records with each agency for retrieval. It would
only need a few seconds for the system to extract the records, but
perhaps a day would be allowed for the agency to review the records
and release them to the OIC. XENA and DPR would catalog and format the records.

The OIC staff would need to be security cleared and their systems
would need to be secure. However, this is something that oversight
commissions already have to deal with day-to-day in government. When
at the Commonwealth Ombudsman's Office I had to look after IT systems
for dealing with with sensitive materials from agencies, including
security agencies.

Tom Worthington FACS HLM tom.worthington at tomw.net.au Ph: 0419 496150
Director, Tomw Communications Pty Ltd            ABN: 17 088 714 309
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617                      http://www.tomw.net.au/
Adjunct Senior Lecturer, ANU