[LINK] Australian Archives new web site broken?

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Tue Sep 4 11:22:16 AEST 2007

Tom Worthington wrote:

> National Archives of Australia have put up a new web site design at
> <http://www.naa.gov.au/>. When I attempt to access documents which were
> previously there, such as "AGLS Metadata Element Set, Part 2: Usage
> Guide",
> <<http://www.naa.gov.au/recordkeeping/gov_online/agls/metadata_element_set.html>http://www.naa.gov.au/recordkeeping/gov_online/agls/metadata_element_set.html>
> I get a "file not found message".
>
> The  error message displays as a web page using Internet Explorer, but
> with Firefox I get the source code (appended). Can anyone duplicate the
> problem?

I get an HTML page which contains a detailed account of the Error 404, as per
the text you've posted below. Very messy indeed.

Internet Explorer has a nasty habit of ignoring the content returned
on a ERROR 404 response and instead shows its dumbed-down "help"
page, which I find useless.

Firefox is acting strangely for me: it knows the returned content is HTML
but insists on storing the page to disk. See content-type below.

I googled for a number of pages relating to the above topic, restricting
the search to the NAA site, and many seemingly valid pages indexed by
google now come up as 404 errors. As discussed many times before on LINK,
it really would behoove sites like this that decide to restructure to
also implement some decent error handling for the old URLs, possibly
providing redirection assistance to the new location of the pages.

It seems unlikely that the NAA would simply discard all of its old
content.

> <%@ Import Namespace="Tridion.ContentDelivery.Linking" %>
> <script runat="server" language="csharp">
> // page variables
> private static string TCM_NULLURI = "tcm:0-0-0";
> private string pageUri = null;
> // initialise page variables
> private void Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) {
> pageUri = "tcm:2-6794-64"; // <-- transferred from page template
> }
> </script>
> <!-- #Include Virtual="/include/naafunctions.aspx" -->

For some reason, the above is returned with the following in the headers:

which explains why Firefox wants to save it to disk. The implementors
of the 404 error handler in IIS (urgh) have specified the wrong content
type.

cheers
rickw

--
Rick Welykochy || Praxis Services

Natural foods can be harmful. Look at all the
people who die of natural causes.
       -- anon