[LINK] Storm Worm Botnet More Powerful Than Top Supercomputers

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Wed Sep 12 15:33:47 AEST 2007

On Tue, 2007-09-11 at 12:51 +1000, Howard Lowndes wrote:
> earns too much revenue in traffic.  I had a poor soul the other day who
> complained that he went away for 3 weeks and turned his PC off but
> forgot to turn the ADSL modem off.  It appears that his IP address was
> DDoS'd whilst he was away and ran up a bill well over $1K.

Another good reason not EVER to go for a data charging plan. Unlimited
or throttled, but not an open ended money pit.

In a similar but different incident, we had an outage in Canberra last
year (I think) that lasted over a day. Connectivity via TransACT was
lost, so we were comprehensively offline. During that time, we were
billed for over 500Mb of traffic. Well, not billed as such, but 500Mb of
traffic was chalked up towards our quota. When we questioned this, the
ISP said that it was traffic they had had to bring in to their network
for us, and it wasn't their problem they couldn't deliver it! This is
the ISP who handles routing our /24, mark you well, so they knew we were
not reachable. They failed to, or chose not to, advertise that fact
upstream, which would have stopped all that traffic ever being sent into
their net.

Regards, K.