[LINK] Lock up your kids...

Richard Chirgwin rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au
Mon Sep 17 08:08:52 AEST 2007

It is, at least, encouraging that a couple of journalists are actually
willing to swim even briefly against the current.

Vietnam, A Reporter's War by Hugh Lunn provides a marvellous
illustration of how everybody can end up telling the same story. The
press releases from the Pentagon got carried by all newsagencies,
whereas an on-the-ground report only got carried by a couple. The
"minority report" was always more likely to be discounted against the
weight of other stories telling the same thing.

And so it is in the "politics of fear". As long as the wires work
feverishly to ensure that they carry the same story at the same time,
there is weight and gravitas attached to the received wisdom, regardless
of the relationship between the facts and the press release. And
everybody feels obliged to report the press release as quickly as
possible, because there's nothing worse than being a day late with the
story - so the light and superficial treatment of the statistic ("half
of children have been contacted...") gains currency long before it's
been analysed.

It's instructive to read the stuff George Smith (AKA Dick Destiny)
writes for The Register in his attempts to debunk crap-science terror
stories. The basic theme is that a significant chunk of the "terror
threats" put forward in the press aren't threats at all, not because of
the people involved, but because most "terrorists" are laughably
ignorant of how to go about their business, and completely ignorant of
science.

And that's the point: the business of manufacturing threats is just as
important to the security community as it is to the terrorist.

RC