[LINK] IBM hopes open office is Symphony to your key-tapping fingers

Jeremy Malcolm Jeremy at Malcolm.id.au
Thu Sep 20 11:47:04 AEST 2007

Marghanita da Cruz wrote:
> Bernard wrote:
> <snip>
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/09/19/ibm_office_symphony_open_source/
> <snip>
>> Just last week IBM joined the OpenOffice.org development community,
>> kicking off its participation by donating code it has developed for
>> its Lotus Notes project.
>
> Does this mean KOffice & Open Office may include Lotus Notes?
>
> I couldn't work out whether Symphony is open source or just complies
> with ODF.

Just complies with ODF.

I actually remember using Lotus Symphony about 20 years ago back when it
was a DOS program (though in a graphical mode for displaying charts and
the like).  Back then it was an integrated application, more like
Microsoft Works.  It was a spin-off of Lotus's first hugely successful
product, the spreadsheet 1-2-3, and retained a rather curious
spreadsheet-like interface even in the other modes of the application
such as word processing.  I presume it shares no code with the new
Windows and Linux version.

--
Jeremy Malcolm LLB (Hons) B Com
Internet and Open Source lawyer, IT consultant, actor