[LINK] Electronic Voting Trial for Deployed Defence Personnel

Tom Worthington Tom.Worthington at tomw.net.au
Fri Sep 21 09:07:26 AEST 2007

At 11:55 AM 19/09/2007, Sylvano wrote:
>FYI - An AEC media release ...
>
>Electronic Voting Trial for Deployed Defence Personnel
>  http://www.aec.gov.au/About_AEC/Media_releases/09_18.htm ...
>... The secure Defence systems meet the highest national security
>and privacy standards and Defence personnel casting their votes can
>be confident that no person can view or manipulate their electronic votes. ...

Defence personnel can be confident that their votes are as secure as
they need to be. But the votes do not need to be protected to the
highest national security level and the AEC should not be misleading
voters by saying they will be. Keeping the ADF voters alive by
transmitting military operational information securely is a higher
priority for the defence network than sending their votes.

What should be of more concern is that there have been no public
reports (as far as I have seen) about trials of the system or how or
by who it is being built. The system for disabled users is being
built by an Australian company which has done such systems before and
has been publicly tested by disabled users. There appears to be no
details of who, how or how the system for ADF personnel is being
built or tested. The network the system is being used over may well
be secure, but who is building the software and how is it being
tested? The AEC needs to say.

Tom Worthington FACS HLM tom.worthington at tomw.net.au Ph: 0419 496150
Director, Tomw Communications Pty Ltd            ABN: 17 088 714 309
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617                http://www.tomw.net.au/
Visiting Fellow, ANU      Blog: http://www.tomw.net.au/blog/atom.xml