[LINK] Fwd: MR 113/07: Australians have a voracious appetite for telecommunications [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Stilgherrian stil at stilgherrian.com
Mon Sep 24 11:16:13 AEST 2007

On 24/9/07 11:00 AM, "Ivan Trundle" <ivan at itrundle.com> wrote:
> No, not at all. 'Voracious', in my dictionaries, means, 'a keen
> appetite' or 'having a very eager approach to an activity'.
>
> The implication here is that we are enthusiastic adopters of
> telecommunications - which can either be compared to the rate of take-
> up with other countries, or alternatively compared with our previous
> record of take-up of telcoms.
>
> IF it is true that we are taking it up faster than others, then the
> word 'voracious' seems entirely appropriate.
>
> I'd say that Australians, as a general rule, have voracious consumer
> appetites for all things, but especially technology - a reflection of
> the fact that we have a high level of personal wealth, and a
> fascination with toys.

All agreed.

Isn't it interesting that sometimes words take on (incorrect) flavours in
one's head, and they stay there until someone corrects you.

Ah well, I'm always happy (if a little embarrassed) to admit I'm wrong when
presented with evidence.

Stil

--
Stilgherrian http://stilgherrian.com/
Internet, IT and Media Consulting, Sydney, Australia