[LINK] Fwd: MR 113/07: Australians have a voracious appetite for telecommunications [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Stilgherrian stil at stilgherrian.com
Mon Sep 24 12:04:47 AEST 2007

On 24/9/07 11:19 AM, "David Goldstein" <wavey_one at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Given a news release is about getting the attention of editors to write a
> story, why shouldn't a term such as "voracious" be used? "Australians use
> technology" aint gonna get anyone's attention. And of course a headline is
> going to include value-laden terms, either in the press or in a news release.

Actually, David, maybe that's my point, now that you mention it.

"Mammals are voracious users of oxygen" is the same thing, I reckon. And we
can see that one's not news because it's stating the bleeding obvious.

If "news" is something noteworthy, then the facts in the bit that was
originally quoted are not news. Tarting it up with impressive-sounding
adjectives doesn't (or at least shouldn't) turn a routine fact into news.

Am I expecting too much? ;)

Stil

--
Stilgherrian http://stilgherrian.com/
Internet, IT and Media Consulting, Sydney, Australia