[LINK] Rick W's .sig

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Fri Sep 28 11:59:52 AEST 2007

David Lochrin wrote:

> Even worse, why do people use "decimate" when they mean "lose many"?  I believe (best to be safe on Link) the word comes from the Roman practice of killing 1 in 10 men in uncooperative villages.

Google define: says ...
"Originally meant the killing of one in 10, as the Roman legions once
  did to punish troops for avoiding going into battle. It should be used
  only to mean killing, not other destruction, and even with killings,
  it ideally should be reserved for cases where the idea of one in 10
  isn't outlandishly off the mark."

My oops was thinking decimate meant to leave 1/10th alive.

> And my favourite hate which seems to be becoming more widespread "very unique" meaning "very unusual".

That usage is "very ubiquitous" and irksome.

I'll duck for cover and get ready for the weekend now.

cheers
rickw