[LINK] Rudd's vow, but cost of computers to hit states

Tom Worthington Tom.Worthington at tomw.net.au
Mon Apr 7 09:30:42 AEST 2008

At 08:06 PM 29/03/2008, Jan Whitaker wrote:
>... have a look at the info in:
>http://pre2005.flexiblelearning.net.au/clicks/index.htm
>This is a research project and report I led in 2002 that outlines a
>slew of issues involved in adapting a school environment for high
>computer use.  ...

Excellent report. As you say, there have been a few changes since
then with the technology, but I suspect that curriculum and
professional development problems are even greater, due to the
increased expectations.

One comment in "Report on principles and guidelines for best practice
rule Challengeable Assumptions about ICT and facilities management"
is "a VET institute designed their new library with totally
electronic information.
Few came. Books were added to the library. People came. "
<http://pre2005.flexiblelearning.net.au/clicks/res_libr/bestprac/pt2_s1.htm>.

In the last year I have noticed academic libraries clearing printed
materials from the most accessible parts of their buildings, replaced
by rows of computers. I suspect this is mostly the librarians
responding to customer demand, rather than forcing the change on
students. If this continues, librarians could well end up running
most of the education spaces at TAFEs and universities. Apart from a
few special purpose scientific labs and a few remaining large lecture
theatres, everything else could be replaced by general purpose
computer equipped rooms
<http://www.tomw.net.au/blog/2008/03/hi-tech-conference-training-and.html>.

There have been some technological changes which make this easier, as
for example, LCD screens are less subject to reflections from windows
and lights than CRT screens were, allowing more flexible room
arrangements. WiFi and systems such as EduRoam make networking
easier. But more could be done to minimize the cost of desks and
powerpoints <http://www.tomw.net.au/blog/2008/04/classroom-design.html>.

Tom Worthington FACS HLM tom.worthington at tomw.net.au Ph: 0419 496150
Director, Tomw Communications Pty Ltd            ABN: 17 088 714 309
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617                      http://www.tomw.net.au/
Adjunct Senior Lecturer, ANU