[LINK] 'Electrical Energy Storage Unit'

Richard Chirgwin rchirgwin at ozemail.com.au
Tue Apr 22 10:11:29 AEST 2008

Another clanger:

> This could translate into an electric vehicle capable of traveling up to
> 500 miles on a five minute charge, compared with current battery
> technology which offers an average 50-100 range on an overnight charge.
The "five minute charge" claim is nonsense. How long it takes to charge
electrical storage with a given amount of energy is also constrained by
what your power supply can deliver.

Imagine the maximum output of a standard Australian GPO: 240V at 10A, or
2.4 kWh. In five minutes, that delivers 2,400 / 12 = 0.12 kWh. That's
not enough to drive a car 500 miles. So you either have to have huge
current on the supply side, or accept that the supply is what constrains
the recharge cycle.

Also: capacitors have always been able to store large charges and
release them quickly. That's what they *do*.

The "ultra" in an ultracapacitor is the density and duration of its
storage - that is, you pack more charge into a smaller space, and it has
less "leak" within the capacitor (ie, slower self-discharge).

Wrapping the story in the quasi-religious mumbo-jumbo (like "no
chemicals" and "five minute charge") casts serious doubt either on
Naturalnews as a source of information, or on the people who briefed the
journalist ... possibly both.

RC