[LINK] Software quality control metaphors [was: Knight of razor to slash government spending]

Stephen Wilson swilson at lockstep.com.au
Fri Apr 25 18:50:00 AEST 2008

grove at zeta.org.au wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Apr 2008, Stephen Wilson wrote:
>
>> Unlike any other engineering, software does not obey the laws of
>> physics. Writing software is much more like writing plays, than
>> building bridges. Until the 'profession' comes to terms with this, I
>> am sure quality and professionalism will remain elusive.
>

> There are some terrible, poorly written plays out there.
> But software, unlike a play can cause harm, or even physical injury.
 > ... Standards need to be applied, even if they are only personal
 > standards and quality is important in everything.

I concur with the need for standards, for sure.  It's just that they are
not sufficient.  What's also needed is structure, and many thought that
this would result from OO, or CASE, or Formal Methods, or High Level
Languages, or whatever the latest fashion was.  But experience shows
that the innate desire of developers to create still supersedes the
stricture of these tools and nullifies their benefits.

The reason why I liken software development to play writing is that I
reckon structure in both cases is mostly arbitrary -- it comes from the
composition (oh, and neither obey the laws of physics).  A good software
engineer will know their composition from end to end. Yet another
programmer can always come along and edit the work, inserting their own
code as they see fit.  We all know that many if not most bugs arise from
people modifying old code, with insufficient attention to the whole of
the parts that came before.

Messing with a carefully written piece of software is fraught with
danger, just as it is with a finished play.  I could take Hamlet for
instance, and hack it as easily as I might hack an old program -- add a
character or two, or a whole new scene -- but the entire internal logic
of the play would almost certainly be wrecked.

Cheers,

Steve Wilson
www.lockstep.com.au