[LINK] protecting online content - AFR technique

Gordon Keith gordonkeith at acslink.net.au
Mon Apr 28 12:44:42 AEST 2008

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 12:12:50 pm Sylvano wrote:
> Dear all
>
> Someone pointed out to me that the AFR ( http://www.afr.com/ ) has
> implemented some CSS magic to provide an extra level of frustration to
> online content copiers: highlighted story text only grabs every other
> letter and so impedes the good old copy/paste.
>
> The story text is effectively doubled, but there is even a little more,
> since each of the two versions needs interleaved   between the
> alternate characters to be inserted to implement the magic.
>
> Cute.

Depending on your browser.

My browser shows the two copies of the story nicely overlaying each other, but
they also overlay the navigation which should be at the bottom of the page so
half the article is very hard to read.

Regards
Gordon

--

Gordon Keith

The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing.