[LINK] protecting online content - AFR technique

Bernard Robertson-Dunn brd at iimetro.com.au
Wed Apr 30 21:30:58 AEST 2008

<http://www.hreoc.gov.au/disability_rights/standards/WWW_3/www_3.html#s2_2>.

>  For a quick test I selected the article "Chance to bid for $60m ATO
>  desktop" (30 Apr 2008, The Australian Financial Review,Ben Woodhead):

<http://www.afr.com/home/viewer.aspx?EDP://20080430000020603558&magsection=news-information&title=Chance+to+bid+for+%2460m+ATO+desktop&source=/_xmlfeeds/information/feed.xml#wrap-home>

If you look at the source, you can find the two parts of the text (I've
only included the first paragraph):

<!-- START OF DRM VIEWER -->

 a a i n  f i e  s
 i i g  u i e s
s c n  b t  a  i s $
b l i n  n o m t o
t c n l g  o t o r i g
 r j c  a t r  t
 p n d  p  i d n  f r
  $6  m l i n   y a
d s t p  o p t r
 e v c s  o t a t.</p><br/>

T x t o  O f c  i
g v n  b s n s  a
 e o d  i e  t  t  $1
 i l o  i f r a i n
 e h o o y
 u s u c n  p o e t
 f e  i  o e e  u
b d i g  o  a $ 0
 i l o  a  e r  e k o
c m u e  s r i e
c n r c .</p><br/>

<!-- END OF DRM VIEWER -->

I extracted this section into Word. As a text editor Word is useful
because you can specify things like tab and paragraph characters. With a
combination of "find and replace", text to table, playing around with
columns and table to text, it was quite easy to re-build the text.
Whatever the AFR uses to create this mess, they don't worry about non
alphanumeric characters and double up on punctuation and $ characters
which have to be removed more or less by inspection.

It would be reasonably easy to write a C program that did the same sort
of thing, but unless its something that you want to do frequently its
not worth it.

What I ended up after a few minutes editing was:

The Australian Taxation Office is giving business a second bite at its
$1 billion information technology outsourcing project after it opened up
bidding for a $60 million a year desktop computer services contract.

The agency also firmed up the anticipated values of all three of the
outsourcing bundles that it will put to market as it winds down its
existing $2 billion agreement with Electronic Data Systems Australia.

The ATO had previously said that the first of the three bundles, known
as managed network services, was worth $55 million a year and that it
would spend $200 million a year on all three bundles for a period of
five years.

With the release yesterday of a request for expressions of interest in
the second bundle, dubbed end-user computing, it’s now known that the
contracts for the ATO’s desktop and mainframe services will be worth
about $60 million and $85 million a year respectively.

The Tax Office has already shortlisted four finalists for the managed
network services bundle and it is now calling for proposals from
prospective desktop and laptop computer outsourcers. The firms
shortlisted for the managed network services contract are Computer
Sciences Corporation, Dimension Data, Telstra and Optus.

CSC, along with fellow outsourcing big guns EDS and IBM, is likely to
bid for the desktop services contract, which represents the best
remaining opportunity for local players such as Commander Communications
and UXC to pick up a piece of the ATO’s coveted outsourcing business.

The mainframe services contract is almost certain to go to IBM, CSC, EDS
or possibly Fujitsu.

The ATO said in the end-user computing contract that it was seeking
support services for about 32,,700 desktop and laptop computers, more
than 1700 printers, 800 photocopiers and 370 servers that it uses to
store emails and files.

The agency currently spends $39 million a year maintaining the fleet of
equipment but said that figure would rise to about $60 million under the
new outsourcing contract because it included costs associated with
updating computing hardware.

Businesses have until May 26 to register their interest in the end-user
computing contract and the ATO will use the responses to compile a
shortlist of finalists that it will put through a series of workshops
before calling for final bids.

--

Regards
brd