[LINK] new acronym - BOTN

Adam Todd link at todd.inoz.com
Sun Aug 3 20:01:38 AEST 2008

At 02:15 03/08/2008, Jan Whitaker wrote:
>Because of the Net
>
>http://www.theage.com.au/national/net-blamed-as-10000-kids-turn-to-crime-20080802-3p00.html?page=-1
>

>The head of the police youth affairs office,
>Inspector Steve Soden, said too many children
>were viewing inappropriate content on the
>internet and this, coupled with boredom due to a
>lack of community services on Melbourne's
>fringes, was behind the alarming rise in youth crime.
>[snip]

YEAH!  Finally someone had the courage to state the obvious!  Kids
aren't being supervised by parents and left to run wild!

>1. of course it has nothing to do with parents not keeping kids home at night

Parents (usually both if there are two in a home) are so exhausted by
7 PM they just want the kids out of their sight - so let them go out
- ahhh peace and quiet - till the police turn up or you see your kids
on the Live Breaking Newscast!

>2. of course it has nothing to do with lack of
>the ability for teachers/schools to discipline
>without those same parents getting pissed off
>about 'little Johnnie' being treated 'badly'

Funny thing, Teachers complain that kids are bad yet parents claim
their kids are angles.  Mind you, I know few parents who are around
their kids as much  we are - most parents work all day, then dis the
kids at home as quick as possible. seeing their kids only for the
shorted of time.

My kids are awful at home, but their teachers tell me how incredibly
angelic and helpful they are at school.  We're confused.

But then we spend a LOT of time with our kids on a range of projects,
including reviewing movies and watching Documentary's.

>3. of course it has nothing to do with the
>population increase [not sure what it is exactly for the baby-echo]

Well I think population increase and better media and communications
has enabled us to be more visible over issues.  I don't think there
has been an 'increase' so much out of proportion with population growth.

But I have ZIP to base that opinion on.

>4. of course it has nothing to do with youth drinking

Oh and knives!

>5. of course it has nothing to do with parents
>that encourage their little yobbos to continue to be yobbos [my neighbours]

Yes plenty of those.  Had a Rock Throwing incident the other
week.  The mother just abused the hell out of me for coming around to
find out why her son was throwing rocks are windows and cars and
things, including our own glass.

The kid caused over $2000 damage in the space of 15 mins and my kids
went running for cover as showers of rock came flying over the treeline.

The mothers solution - send the kid back home and abuse the parents
and kids who came around to find out what was going on.