[LINK] Google StreetView Launched in Oz

Ivan Trundle ivan at itrundle.com
Tue Aug 5 10:47:49 AEST 2008

On 05/08/2008, at 10:30 AM, Stilgherrian wrote:

> I'm going to ask the question: Exactly how is a photograph of a house
> on a street an invasion of privacy, when it isn't linked to any
> individual?

I agree - if the photo is taken in a public place with public access.

> The house is a visible, physical object that anyone can walk past and
> photograph. The address of the house is, again, a known fact. Anyone
> could already do that and, indeed, post the photo online with a
> description. Real estate agents do it all the time. All Google has
> done is photographed "everywhere" all at once, and shown us all the
> results.
>
> If we're worried about the facts of WHO lives in that house, well,
> that data is already available all over the place.

This was amply demonstrated in the case of the owners of the house in
the US who wanted to sue Google, at which point others pointed out
that their house was not only on the internet, but a floor plan was
available, too (real estate advert).

iT