[LINK] Google StreetView Launched in Oz

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Tue Aug 5 13:15:56 AEST 2008

At 12:26 +1000 5/8/08, Sylvano wrote:
>It will certainly be interesting to watch the information updating cycle
>that is employed now that Google has donned this yoke universal image
>delivery.  Do they do wholesale sweeps every so often, or "patches" as
>known changes are identified, for example.

That was one of the ones on the list that I skipped.  Serves me right.

I don't think I'm blowing confidences (or saying anything very
surprising) by suggesting that Google will do updates sparingly - not
least because it's expensive and time-consuming to drive along every
occupied street in Australia.

It could be reasonably expected that they would focus on a few
specific categories of location, e.g. business areas that are
much-used but were building sites the last time they drove past, and
locations where the original images have been removed and a
replacement image is desirable.

Yes, we expressed concern in our original conversation that sweeps
should not be frequent.  And they said that wasn't the intention.

But of course:

-   they chose their words carefully
     ('not the intention', rather than 'we won't do that')

     (Note that they've never, ever said 'We won't do evil'.  They've
     projected the imagery, and the media have suckered for it time
     and time again)

-   there are no assurances / warranties / undertakings / representations
     that could be the basis for, say, TPC s.52 actions - because there's
     no Privacy Policy nor anything resembling one

--
Roger Clarke                  http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916

Visiting Professor in Info Science & Eng  Australian National University
Visiting Professor in the eCommerce Program      University of Hong Kong