[LINK] Firefox on NSW DET portal

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Wed Aug 6 11:13:48 AEST 2008

Marghanita da Cruz wrote:

> I knew there was a reason as a Linux/FF user I hadn't embarked on Internet
> banking. Though I wonder what the position of the ACCC would be if
> I wanted to and was charged more for not using  Internet banking.

I was accessing Westpac five years ago solely using Linux and
Mozilla. No probs. I've never had much trouble with Westpac except
the odd cookie mixup when switching accounts.

But for fees, heh ... what a rort! The bank lulled many customers
into online banking with no charges. Once that was accomplished
they began charging for each Internet transaction. The situation
got so muddled and confusing (w.r.t charges) they've finally reneged
and offer (a) fee-free Internet only account with high interest
(very handy for short savings) and (b) an e-Account for a flat $3.00/mon
for any number of Internet and other transactions.

What are other Linkers experiences with banking fees and their relation
to Internet banking?

> Bear in mind Brendan's original post was about the education department - the
> reference to firefox on the MAC may only be because IE doesn't run on a Mac. It
> would be nice if in 2008,  we could get some interoperability standards applied
> - rather than government departments providing advertising for specific products.

With the W3C standards *very well established* now for over five years,
there is no excuse for browser incompatibilities. Web designers should now
be designing and implementing strictly to standard. They are then in a position
to put on notice (name and shame on their site as well) those browsers that
do not comply with their standards-compliant service.

Compliant web sites do well to (a) pass the HTML validator at w3c.org
and then proudly display this logo:

http://validator.w3.org/images/valid_icons/valid-xhtml10

cheers