[LINK] Firefox on NSW DET portal

Peter Bowditch peter at ratbags.com
Wed Aug 6 23:06:57 AEST 2008

Brendan says:

> https://portal.det.nsw.edu.au/
>
> > PLEASE NOTE:
> > Platforms: Browsers (Operating Systems) that are
> > currently supported by the Portal:
> > For PCs:	Internet Explorer v7 (Windows XP)
> > 	Internet Explorer v6 (Windows XP)
> > For Macs:	Firefox v2.0 (Mac 10.2, 10.3, 10.4)
> > 	Firefox v1.5 (Mac 10.2, 10.3)
>
> How is it that Firefox is supported when it runs on a Mac but not on a
> PC?

The DET portal works fine for me with FF3 on a PC, with one exception (I
can even access my TAFE Outlook email). The one exception is an
application which needs to download a plugin. Firefox tells me that it
doesn't like plugins like this and asks me to allow the installation. It
goes through the motions and then tells me that it doesn't like plugins
from DET and asks for permission to install it. It goes through the
motions .. Rinse. Repeat. As I know for a fact that the application
doesn't work for me even with IE (despite assurances from IT support) it
was moot anyway.

I suspect that the compatible browser notice on the portal front page is
something which should be changed but the relevant people are busy
breaking, sorry, modifying something else.

(If any TAFE IT support people are reading this I mean no offence and I
really think you are lovely, overworked people.)

--
Peter Bowditch
The Millenium Project - http://www.ratbags.com/rsoles