[LINK] APF Policy re Google StreetView

Ivan Trundle ivan at itrundle.com
Tue Aug 12 09:47:55 AEST 2008

On 12/08/2008, at 8:33 AM, Roger Clarke wrote:

> It doesn't make as easy or as interesting reading as Richard
> Chirgwin's piece, I'm sorry.
>
> But this is where we stand after some months of working on, and to a
> limited extent with, Google Australia's policy executive:
>
>         APF Policy Statement re Google StreetView
>         http://www.privacy.org.au/Papers/StreetView.html

A reasoned and level-headed approach, and focusses on the key issues
of accountability (and the mechanisms for dealing with the issue).

As much as Richard's piece was entertaining, much of the overall
community commentary is values-laden and emotional, which devalues the
overall discussion of the underlying problems with Street View (or
more appropriately, Google itself).

Some of the asserted risks are difficult to describe (for example, how
is a 'female-only household' likely to be discovered?) or are more
easily refuted by suggesting that the process of taking a photo can be
undertaken by anyone with a camera (such as with building security).

Perhaps, too, the policy statement should reflect on the statement
relating to 'the experience gained in the first two days after
launch': this implies that it is shooting from the hip and is thus
tied to the emotional reaction of the service's introduction.

However, the Privacy Impact Assessment would place all of this under
scrutiny, and exposes the true nature of the issues that we face.

iT