[LINK] Google now 70% of US search engine users

Adam Todd link at todd.inoz.com
Thu Aug 14 10:50:44 AEST 2008

At 22:53 13/08/2008, Sylvano wrote:
>On Wednesday 13 August 2008 19:58, Adam Todd wrote:
><snip>
> > There is no monopoly if the user still has a choice.  Just because
> > people choose not to use Yahoo and MSN shows that Yahoo has less
> > quality information.  I don't use Yahoo, it's a waste of time.  The
> > results are always lame and pathetic and lacking greatly.  Half the
> > stuff I've ever search for is eventually found on google but I rarely
> > find in Yahoo.
><snip>
>
>I think your observations are quite right, especially about Yahoo.  The one
>quibble I have, though, relates to the notion of monopoly.
>
>The issue of monopoly for Google (or Micro$oft, or whoever for that
>matter) is
>not just about user choice per se, but also the abuse of power when in a
>monopoly or monopoly like position.

Microsoft is a Monopoly.  It creates a platform that you have no
choice BUT to use if you wish to use software for which you can chose
alternatives.

Actually even word processing no longer has the competition any more,
Wordstar, WordPerfect are for all intents gone.  Lotus123 and Quatro
are for all intents gone.

Regardless, all of the above only work on Windows - a Microsoft
product.  You couldn't buy the software and run it on another
platform. (Yes I know some released Mac Classic versions)

Had other GIU platforms existed, and to be honest between about 1990
and 2004 nothing really did besides Apple, software developers may
well have covered all those platforms.

I think the only alternative to windows was, gawd, I can't even get
the name out of my head - something like .... Geowindows.

>One small example: logging into a google service, like adwords say, and then
>flicking to a new tab to do a google search will show that they happily
>extend your "log in" to the search function.  [It's usually in these
>scenarios that I use alternative search tools]

I never do that!  I always log out, flush my browser and then do my
search.  Or I conduct my Adwords via alternative platform - usually
my Firefox running on a Mac or Linux box via VNC :)

>The arrogance of market dominance becomes clearer when you choose to log out
>in the search context, and discovering google automatically logs you out from
>the adwords account...  The notion of choice starts to become a little grey.

But in effect you are still within the same server
environment.  Microsoft does the same with Windows Live, Hotmail,
Passport and MSN.

It's not monopoly in this instance becaue you have chosen to use
those services.

What you are saying is, if you go into a Hotel, and stay in a room,
they have a monbopoly on the contents of the minibar.

But this is not the case, you can choose to consume from the minibar
or go out and get your own!

Most people opt for the convenience of all in one shopping.

Just like Shopping Centres that cater for groceries, white goods and
clothing.  It's not a monopoly because you choose the
convenience.  You an always travel elsewhere to buy different goods.

Monoppoly is where you have no choice.  If you go to Shopping Centre
A and the stores are the same as Shopping Centre B, and you are not
permitted to purchase outside these two centres - then you are
subject to a Monopoly.

Just like if you aren't allowed to bring your own food into your hotel room.