[LINK] Google now 70% of US search engine users

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Thu Aug 14 11:51:19 AEST 2008

stephen at melbpc.org.au wrote:

> Guess google is more than 70% here, where Yahoo & MSN aren't used so much?
>
> --
> Hitwise provides more proof of Google's search dominance
> Posted by Jim Kerstetter August 12, 2008 9:52 AM PDT
> http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10015300-93.html
>

> Don't call Google's search business a monopoly, the company's executives
> have reminded us.

*shrug*

The 90% desktop and consumer-level monopoly held by Microsoft has far
more serious implications. Where are the derisive howls of disapproval
about that? Not even touched upon by the media. Even during the DoJ
trials, no real in-depth explanations were on offer as to how damaging
the monopoly has been. Bush even had the gall to say that monopoly
breaking was a Bad Thing (tm).

I hope you all understand that the fallout from the Microsoft monopoly
has been an 85% SPAM level on the email channels, bot wars, organised
DDoS attacks, identity theft through spyware, keyboard logging and
phishing, world-wide underground kiddie porn distribution and
the fact that the sun won't rise tomorrow!

It's pretty trivial to change search engines on a whim. But try to get
consumers to switch operating systems. Very very difficult, money
considerations aside ... although I am slowly getting my point across
to some.

cheers
rickw