[LINK] tv and web convergence article

Adam Todd link at todd.inoz.com
Mon Aug 18 22:38:11 AEST 2008

At 07:23 18/08/2008, grove at zeta.org.au wrote:
>On Mon, 18 Aug 2008, Jan Whitaker wrote:
>
> > http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2008/08/18/1218911522299.html
> >
> > Scorched welds together online and TV
> >

> > Is this the future of TV? A new Nine drama set in climate-ravaged
> > Australia is straddling the divide between TV and the web, and its
> > creators hope viewers will continue to build on the story well
> into the future.
>
>Dr Who did it much, much better ;)

And failed and canned the entire Web/Mobile product range.  Dr Who
released 'pre release mini episodes' for Mobile/iPod users.  They
were FREE to watch!  Get the episode before it was broadcast.

However, FREE to obtain and the cost of downloading were two
different things.  30,000 people downloaded the first mini episode
and then got stung with expensive DATA charges from their service providers.

FREE was not so FREE afterall and the next mini episode only had 3000
downloads and it dwindled and was canned.

I've been very involved in a Mobile Movie, and user contribution
project I just can't talk about right now.

Getting around the data charges globally is the key issue, and I've
got some exciting methods on the table.

But mobile users aren't interested in paying for content and nor are
people sitting at home browsing the web.