[LINK] IFIP Digital Library

Gordon Keith gordonkeith at acslink.net.au
Tue Aug 19 12:17:15 AEST 2008

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 10:13:08 am Stilgherrian wrote:
> Still, I reckon that in the 21st Century getting "points" only for
> presenting work that's "written in words", as opposed to using high-
> memetic-bandwidth channels which might better convey meaning, is as
> obsolete as demanding that PhD theses be written in Latin.

"Points" are for peer reviewed publications.

When there are sufficient peers who are capable of "writing" notes in
the "margins" of a copy for review and returning the copy with notes to the
publisher to be sent back to the author for them to find the notes and make
appropriate changes then we might see publications in other formats.

It's easy to find peer who know how to use the written word to annotate a
manuscript. It's not even difficult to find peers who can highlight and
annotate a document in Microsoft Word.

It's hard to think of tool that is generally available and usable to annotate
higher bandwidth channels.

Regards
Gordon

--

Gordon Keith

There are no significant bugs in our released software
that any significant number of users want fixed.
     - Bill Gates, 1995