[LINK] IFIP Digital Library

Ivan Trundle ivan at itrundle.com
Tue Aug 19 19:27:52 AEST 2008

On 19/08/2008, at 6:14 PM, Roger Clarke wrote:

> (The history of diagramming conventions in systems analysis and
> design has been one of alternative tightening to achieve precision,
> and loosening - because most human beings find such levels of
> precision daunting and even suffocating).

Not as much an aside as you might believe, Roger.

I believe that the English language, as a tool of expression, can be
as difficult to interpret as some diagrams, but nonetheless, it's the
medium that most are comfortable with, and are thus more adept at
translating into meaning - without suffocation.

If all we had were a video recording device to record our thoughts and
words, perhaps the world would now be a very different place.

iT