[LINK] Land of the Free, and the Expensive

Scott Howard scott at doc.net.au
Thu Aug 21 10:17:19 AEST 2008

The difference is that in the US people probably won't notice or care if
this goes ahead.

Banking in the US is for the most part years behind where it is in Australia
- and the concept of transferring money into someone elses account is
completely foreign to almost all Americans, and Cheques (err.. checks!)
still rule as the primary form of payment for anything other than small
payments.

Even EFTPOS is only just starting to take off - and then only by banks
marketing the cards as "check cards" (which are generally actually just
Debit Visa or occasionally Mastercard cards).

The nett result of this is that the vast majority of sales on eBay in the US
are already either PayPal, COD or occasionally (non-PayPal) credit card.
Without the additional option of a fast/free/easy payment method like direct
deposit, PayPal has already won here.

Sure, there will be people who complain, although most of those complaints
will be on principal rather than due to the additional cost which most
people are already paying anyway.

  Scott