[LINK] IPv6 doomed

Kim Holburn kim.holburn at gmail.com
Sun Aug 24 17:07:37 AEST 2008

On 2008/Aug/24, at 11:59 AM, Howard Lowndes wrote:

> David Boxall wrote:
>> <http://www.itnews.com.au/News/83058,ipv6-doomed-requires-act-of-god.aspx
>> >
>>> ISPs and carriers have spectacularly failed with IPv6, to the point
>>> where they need to resurrect network address translation (NATs) to
>>> persist with IPv4, a leading expert has warned.
>>> It is anticipated IPv4 address allocation could now run out as early
>>> as January 2009 – particularly as sectors of the industry resort to
>>> ‘panic buying’ of addresses as the shortage looms, according to
>>> Huston.
>>>
>>> “When the IPv4 supply runs out, you’re going to have to pay [to get
>>> addresses], and after another ten years the price is going be
>>> amazing,” said Huston.
>
> I think before we start blaming the ISPs and carriers we should be
> pointing the bone at the gateway commodity manufacturers.  Can you
> think
> of any ADSL gateway box that does IPv6 natively, let alone have the
> ability to configure for IPv6.  Let's face it. most of these boxes are
> still running Linux 2.4.x

Linux 2.4.x can run ipv6 can't it?

I would have thought the real pressure is coming from the internet
growth in Asia.

They could always claw back the big class A's and class B's and break
them up and give some of them to India, Japan or China ;-)  Of course
changing the price would probably have that effect.  I can't imagine
that organisations who have huge ranges like those have any real
pressure to use them efficiently.  Could be wrong about that.

--
Kim Holburn
IT Network & Security Consultant

                           -- Lloyd Biggle, Jr. Analog, Apr 1961