[LINK] Internet Explorer V8

Adam Todd link at todd.inoz.com
Thu Aug 28 22:52:36 AEST 2008

At 11:53 28/08/2008, Rick Welykochy wrote:
>Just deleting a file and leaving it in the free sectors is not
>enough for security. And just overwriting the freed sectors with a bit
>pattern is not enoguh. Secure erasure is required, susually up to
>10 or 15 passes to securely remove data.
>
>Of course a really sensible option is to encrypt your drive.

And when windows crashes and you reintall, you can't access your
encrypted directories!

Unlike in OSX (which is based on BSD, flavored Unix) where you just
need to know the key.

The only problem with remembering the key is, after 6 years of
faultless operation, ones memory tends to fade more than the data on
the hard drive!!!

[Yes, I have just encountered this experience, but it's OK, I had a
backup, I just didn't want to stuff around accessing it, which in
hindsight might have been 4 minutes faster!]

PS.  Cracking the windows user level directory encryption isn't
really that hard if you have access to the user directories and Admin account.